Whether it’s the golf basics, advice on equipment, coaching juniors, or managing a golf club from top to bottom, PGA pros do pretty much anything and everything in golf. Perhaps best of all – we are there to help you, the ordinary golfer – squeeze the most out of this wonderful game that both tantalises and frustrates in equal measures.
Down the years the role of the pro has broadened in step with changes in the golfing landscape brought about by the game’s surge in popularity. World class players such as Tiger Woods have increased the profile of golf, and taken the sport to another level.
As golf has become more popular, opportunities have arisen to enable many pros to specialise in a specific area of the game whether as coaches, fitness and conditioning experts, golf managers, directors of golf, retailers, custom-fitters or club repairers.
Since qualifying as a PGA Professional back in 1995 and enjoying several years as a Club Professional, I made the decision to concentrate on my passion for coaching. I founded MT Golf Academy in 2003 and now head an extremely successful coaching operation. I provide golf lessons to individuals and groups of all ages and abilities.
Six time Major winner Nick Faldo’s first introduction to golf was via six lessons with his local pro at Welwyn Garden City Golf Club. The three-time Open and Master Champion remains a huge supporter of the PGA professional. “My big message to club members and newcomers is always that money spent on a lesson is money well spent.”
Over the last 18 years I have studied the techniques of countless players and the methods used by the best coaches in the game. This has equipped me with the knowledge to improve the swings of everybody I work with.
I have a particular interest in the development of junior golf, which has resulted in my delivery of golf sessions within dozens of schools. Many continue with regular golf tuition at one of my academy venues, which include West Bradford Golf Club and Ghyll Beck Driving Range, Esholt, Baildon. Ultimately many then become golf club members in their own right.
Ten good reasons why you should take lessons with Mark Tyler:
1. Lessons are both rewarding to your game and an enjoyable experience.
2. Having an expert in the golf swing exclusively working on your game is a real buzz and it’s the opportunity to get a sound platform.
3. Books, magazines and friends can often lend mis-guided tips or advice but gaining the correct advice for YOU is priceless.
4. I am a second pair of eyes – I can see your swing and because of my training and expertise can pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses, and give you realistic individual goals to reach through practice regimes.
5. The golf swing is a complex action. Lessons with me really help you to understand exactly what is happening, why it’s happening and what you need to do to improve.
6. Lessons help realise potential which includes being able to hit the ball further, straighter and more consistently.
7. Lessons are a great opportunity to discuss equipment with me and find out what’s best for your swing.
8. Learn practice drills. I will be able to give you specific drills to help you on the part of your game that you’re working on.
9. Lessons enable you to get the most out of your equipment.
10. Lessons prevent bad habits developing.